Salt Traders is proud to be the exclusive United States importer of Danish Viking Smoked Sea Salt. Danish Viking Smoked Sea Salt is made in a style devised by the Vikings, thanks to the efforts of one man in Denmark, who took it upon himself to rekindle this millennium-old tradition. Danish Viking Smoked Sea Salt is produced by first evaporating seawater, then using a "fizzing" (evaporating) process, which takes place in a vessel over an open, smoky fire containing juniper, cherry, elm, beech and oak. "The resulting salt," according to the April 2002 issue of SAVEUR Magazine, "tastes like a bonfire."
Suggested Uses for Danish Viking Smoked Sea Sa:
- Tossed Danish Viking Smoked Sea Salt with steamed vegetables, a bit of lemon juice and butter.
- Use Danish Viking Smoked Sea Salt in creamed corn or corn chowder.
- Sprinkle Danish Viking Smoked Sea Salt on savory tarts and quiches.
- Sprinkle Danish Viking Smoked Sea Salt on any of your favorite egg preparations.
- Sprinkle Danish Viking Smoked Sea Salt on baked or mashed potatoes.
- Use Danish Viking Smoked Sea Salt in a Bloody Mary for a smoky twist on this classic cocktail.
- Use Danish Viking Smoked Sea Salt as a dry rub - by itself on meats or as one of a combination of ingredients in a dry rub. For example, grind in a spice grinder equal parts smoked sea salt, sea salt and cumin seed, then dust the countertop with the resulting mixture. Dredge pieces of fresh ahi in the mixture before searing it.
Recipes and Other Details
Posted by jdg on 11th Apr 2013
I have tryed alot smoked rock salts this is the best
Intense and worth every penny!
Posted by Unknown on 29th Mar 2013
There are a lot of smoked salts out there, and they are all pretty good. This one, though, is in a class by itself. It's expensive, but so intense,all you need are a few grains to add serious umami! I love to sprinkle it on risotto.
Posted by Marilyn Miller on 21st Jan 2013
Just thinking about breakfast with the Viking Sea Salt keeps me smiling all night. But then I have loved everything purchased from Salt Traders.
Posted by dhmosquito on 6th Jul 2012
Slice some garden-fresh tomatoes, top with sliced mozarella, add a little balsamic, and sprinkle a half-dozen to a dozen crystals of Danish Viking Smoked Sea Salt to each "bite", and you will find it delicious! This is an outstanding product.
Posted by Nolan's on 18th Jun 2012
This product is fantastic! I just wish I had gotten the larger container.