Salt Traders is proud to be the exclusive United States importer of Danish Viking Smoked Sea Salt. Danish Viking Smoked Sea Salt is made in a style devised by the Vikings, thanks to the efforts of one man in Denmark, who took it upon himself to rekindle this millennium-old tradition. Danish Viking Smoked Sea Salt is produced by first evaporating seawater, then using a "fizzing" (evaporating) process, which takes place in a vessel over an open, smoky fire containing juniper, cherry, elm, beech and oak. "The resulting salt," according to the April 2002 issue of SAVEUR Magazine, "tastes like a bonfire."
Suggested Uses for Danish Viking Smoked Sea Sa:
- Tossed Danish Viking Smoked Sea Salt with steamed vegetables, a bit of lemon juice and butter.
- Use Danish Viking Smoked Sea Salt in creamed corn or corn chowder.
- Sprinkle Danish Viking Smoked Sea Salt on savory tarts and quiches.
- Sprinkle Danish Viking Smoked Sea Salt on any of your favorite egg preparations.
- Sprinkle Danish Viking Smoked Sea Salt on baked or mashed potatoes.
- Use Danish Viking Smoked Sea Salt in a Bloody Mary for a smoky twist on this classic cocktail.
- Use Danish Viking Smoked Sea Salt as a dry rub - by itself on meats or as one of a combination of ingredients in a dry rub. For example, grind in a spice grinder equal parts smoked sea salt, sea salt and cumin seed, then dust the countertop with the resulting mixture. Dredge pieces of fresh ahi in the mixture before searing it.
Recipes and Other Details
I love it on salmon and salad
Posted by Vicki on 4th Nov 2014
This salt makes revitalizes my salmon and green salads. I use a mortar and pestle to grind it to a finer grain so I can sprinkle it easily, withou wasting it.
Still the best
Posted by Anthony Biscaia on 7th May 2014
So I recently got a new batch and the smoke flavor seems a little different but that could be due to the aging effect on my previous batch. Still highly recommended, this stuff is addictive so you've been warned.
Excellent taste, excellent salt.
Posted by Mike Werner on 6th May 2014
Works miracles on any food, gives it a slight and nice smoky smell and taste. This is my 3rd purchase of this salt, never regretted it.
Posted by Tony B on 15th Apr 2014
I bought a couple of 3 oz jars of this a few years ago and still have some left but will need to restock soon. Mine still have the old label, not sure when that got changed. I use it in different ways but my favorite is to just dip my finger to scoop up a few grains to lick straight. Salt heaven.
My favorite salt
Posted by Jane Coe on 17th Mar 2014
You have no idea what a few grains of the Viking Smoked Salt will do for scrambled eggs, cooked vegetables and meat. This is my all time favorite finishing salt.